Thursday, January 29, 2009

Snowy Day Dinners

No pics but I just had to share my menu planning over these past few days. I usually keep my pantry pretty well stocked but some things you're going to run out of, like milk.

Yesterday I made a big pot of chili and some cornbread, good meal for a snowy day. I was also feeding my neighbor, who is a young bachelor and probably can't find his way to the kitchen. Well as I was dozing off to sleep I overheard my DD and DS arguing over who ate the last of it lol.

So tonight I was determined to have more than enough. I knew I was going to fix chicken fingers, I usually fix fries to go with this but I wanted to make sure there was more than enough so I debated between spaghetti or waffles. Everybody voted for the chicken and waffles. I was very slow on milk and didn't have any buttermilk which is what I usually use. I always keep a can of evaporated milk on hand for just such emergencies. Let me tell you the chicken and waffles were excellent. I usually put my chicken in buttermilk, then flour before frying. Didn't have any buttermilk so I used the evaporated milk, diluted with a little water and egg and did a double dip before frying. I'm sure this is how good recipes start.

Just had to share. I do love to cook and also love a challenge so tonight I did both together. Food Network are you listening, I think this is a great idea for a new show.

2 comments:

Julia said...

Yummy! Sounds really good

Andrea said...

It all sound delicious!!! Thank you so much for giving me the Kreativ Award. By the way, I just saw your plaid caplet. GORGEOUS!!!