Friday, August 28, 2009

Genius or Crazy Lady—You Decide

Sometimes it’s really scary the way my mind works. For some time now I’ve wanted to purchase a knitting needle case but the ones at Hobby Lobby were a tad expensive and they didn’t address my one critical storage issue—circular needles. There wasn’t any place to store them and as you can see my current method is very primitive. Stretched out under a paper box, it keeps them for constantly curling while you’re trying to use them but wasn’t a long term solution.




So I decided to design an all-in-one needle case, something to store my crochet hooks right along side my ever growing collection of knitting needles.


This is what I came up with….
I used the left over canvas material that I used to make the monstrous swing canopy, quilting fabric I got when Wal-Mart got rid of their fabric dept. and a piece of stretch lace that I’ve had forever, I did back the lace with a piece of the (1,001 uses) knit tricot. I added a large pocket to the front for stitch markers, double pointed needles, and all the other knitting stuff and used Velcro for the pocket closure.




I really need a new cutting mat, this ones kinda gross.

The Pièce de résistance is what I came up with for the circular needles, I stitched semi-pockets in the bottom at random intervals so that the circular needles could be threaded through no matter what size they were, now tell me that isn’t genius. It can be folded 4 times depending on how much stuff you have in there, I have it folded three times and it still isn’t too big.



It addresses all my needle storage needs and can be expanded to house the larger knitting needles I plan to purchase someday.

The large craft bag I purchased at Hobby Lobby is great but not really good for organizing. Just everything thrown in there and all the knitting needles jammed in the bottom, just wasn’t working for me.






I have to say this project was a success; in any case it makes me happy. Which explains why I’m single all my ex-husbands underestimated the importance of that one fact.
Haven’t posted a Sunday breakfast in awhile but this past Sunday I was blessed to enjoy a solitary breakfast. I know to some this wouldn’t be a good thing but I’m so happy if I can just cook for me. I was watching Grilling with Bobby Flay and they made chorizo eggs…YUM. I remembered I had some chorizo in the freezer; I use it when I make jambalaya. I whipped up my version and they were so good, rounded it out with some cheesy hash browns, bacon and a homemade blueberry muffin, yep I was a happy girl, just me and Tony Morrison’s latest novel.




I think my OCD kicked into overdrive because KMQ is really cutting it close with her wedding dress and I think I’m having her panic attack. I know I have issues but I totally agree with her making her own dress, why would you have someone else do it when you could do a better job. I'm sure she will finish in plenty of time but jeeze only two days to go and it's not finished.

4 comments:

Carol said...

I've been meaning to make a needle holder for a long time. I love yours!

julia said...

Great needle holder. Maybe you should make and sell them!

Sheila said...

I agree you make and sell them... great idea. Mmmm that breakfast looks scrumptious.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Tanya if I had that breakfast, maybe I'd have the energy to finish my dress and not be on the computer reading blogs...LOL