Saturday, July 28, 2012

Late to the Party

I'm late to the Rachel Comey skirt party. This was a pattern review favorite last year but I'm just getting around to making it. I only had one yard of this gifted stretch denim and I was determined to make a skirt but couldn't find a pattern that would work.

With some very creative cutting I was able to squeeze out this pattern and I'm so glad I did. I added as much length as my fabric allowed, the inside pocket is cut from some old jeans and my waistband is pieced together but I still love it.





I used a tip from the Sandra Betzina's Fast Fit book and inserted a tummy control panel. It doesn't make it look prettier but it's totally worth it for the way it fits.

I only used the binding for the yoke and pockets, I ran out and was to lazy to go to the store so I just serged the rest of the seams. Didn't have an invisible zipper so I did a lapped zipper.
As everyone else has said on PatternReview this is a great pattern, for me it was great after adding the length otherwise it would be scandalously short and at 51 no one wants to see that. Now I have to make a top to wear with it. This is the Macy's Music Festival weekend so I don't know how much more sewing I will get done. Last night was great and I have high hopes for tonight.

Happy Sewing.

3 comments:

Adelaide B said...

I just bought this pattern for the blouse, but all these great skirts are making me want to make it as well. I just love a denim skirt!

Sheila said...

Cute skirt and did a great job working it up with a yard of fabric.

Faye Lewis said...

You are not the last one - I haven't made it yet either.